Time to build a wood store
Well I don’t know where you are in the world, but the weather in Hampshire of late has turned decidedly colder and my thoughts are turning to heating the house. We have underfloor heating, but the oil is so blooming expensive at the moment that we’re having to rely on the wood burning stove to provide the majority of the heat this winter.
It produces loads of heat from one of our most under utilised naturally occurring fuels, Wood. What’s more if you’re prepared to source your own logs it can be one of the cheapest methods of heating your house.
I’ve even taken to making a few logs using old newspapers. My sister lent me her paper log maker, which to be honest makes pretty decent logs, and if you mix them with regular logs they generate a fair bit of heat.
The only snag is we don’t really have anywhere to store loads of logs so they end up sitting on the drive, which isn’t ideal. So nothing else for it but to build a wood store.
Over the coming weeks (weather permitting) we’ll be sharing how we went about the build and the methods we use, which are all based on previous projects and what we’ve managed to pick up in books.
The design we’ve chosen is fairly simple and based on a building we saw when we visited the gardens at Heligan a couple of years ago, but nothing nearly as grand I should add.
It’s a basic rectangular shape with a pitched roof and timber planks on three sides. We have the ideal spot, right next to the workshop, but first we need to remove an overgrown Spirea bush that won’t transplant.
It was here when we arrived, but unfortunately it’s right in the middle of where we want to build so it just had to go.
Preparing the groundwork.
The garden is on a gentle rise from front to back which meant removing about a ton and a half of top soil and chalk before it became anything near level.
The foundations of the timber structure
The roof and walls are going to be held up by two rows of three 4 x 4 inch pressure treated posts. A tip if you ever have to sink any posts into the ground, try to bury at least a quarter of the post into the ground. That way it will be in nice and firm.
As we’re using 8ft posts for our build we made each hole 2 foot deep, then added a 3 inch layer of shingle in the bottom of the hole to help drain any water that might collect at the bottom of the post.
Finally each post was firmed in with a single bag of post cement mixed with a few of the flints that came out when we were digging the holes.
Eventually finished sinking the last post around 2.00pm on Sunday afternoon, which I didn’t think was half bad considering we also moved around a ton and a half of top soil in the process.
If the weather holds in the week I’ll carry on excavating the rest of the soil and prepare the base.
Next weekend we’ll move on to building the roof structure and the walls.
Can’t wait to see it finished!