One evening in late 2007 we were considering what to do with the rest of our lives and came up with a crazy plan to move to the country and build our own house. If that wasn’t enough we also wanted to include as much renewable ‘green’ energy as possible.
For many of us building our own house remains a dream, but it really is possible if you know how to go about it, and with the property market fairly stagnant at the moment it’s possible to find a bargain and kick start your dream.
Without doubt it changed our lives and we’ve decided to share our knowledge so you can benefit from the wealth of information we gathered on the journey.
Fortunately we recorded everything as we went through the build:
- How to find a new build opportunity
- How to manage your relationship with the planning and building control officers
- Discover the ‘real’ cost of building your own timber frame house
- Learn the secrets of becoming a good Project Manager and saving literally thousands on your build costs
- Suggestions when considering the location and design of your new build
- How to find reputable timber frame suppliers
- How to manage your sub contractors, keep them happy and keep them to a schedule
- Understand why it’s important to maintain a safe and tidy site
- Find out the real cost of installing ‘Green’ technology and if it really does save you money
- The fun we had along the way and the pain of dealing with contractors
… and a lot more!
If you want to find out more about how to build your own eco friendly home, start by downloading the first two chapters using the link below.
It’s taken a lot of hard work to pull it together, so all we ask in return is please pass on the link to a couple of friends and let them know how good, or bad it is!