In May of last year I planted a Beech Hedge, (Hornbeam to be precise) against the fence at the front of Blackbirds.
After 12 months of growth I have to say I am a little disappointed how long it’s taken these plants to get going. I used bare rooted plants, incorporated lots of compost in the planting hole and have been diligent with my watering.
I have read Beech and Hornbeam in particular is slow to grow away so I’m still hopeful we will have a half decent hedge in the next 5 – 10 years.
Unfortunately about 30% of the original plants have failed which I guess could be down to the extreme winter we had and the lack of any serious rainfall in Hampshire this year.
Anyway I’ve decided to plant a few Laurel plants in-between to try and fill the hedge out in the short term.
My neighbors all grow them very successfully, which must be down to the abundance of lime in our soil.
I grew them from cuttings which my neighbor very kindly let me have last summer. They grew really well and only 10% failed, so I’m going to have another go at growing a few more this summer.
Now I’m off to do a rain dance in a bid to help my vegetables through this terrible drought we’re experiencing in Hampshire.